Barley, Oats & Chocolate Chip Cookies
To celebrate the holiday season, I made these tasty Christmas cookies! I decided to use the whole grains barley and oats since they are rich in beta glucan, which is beneficial for cholesterol lowering and boosting immunity.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
Serves: 30-40 cookies
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup margarine
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups whole oats (I used quick cooking oats)
1 cup barley flour
½ cup oat bran
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips
2 Tbsp festive sprinkles (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and margarine and blend together.
- Stir in vanilla and egg and mix until fluffy.
- Add whole oats, barley flour, oat bran, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in chocolate chips and sprinkles (optional)
- Roll tablespoon amount of cookie dough into a ball and place onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove cookies from oven and let cool on baking sheet before enjoying!