Carrot Ginger Sweet Potato Soup
Just in time for the holidays, or really any time of year, I have my new favourite soup! This Carrot Ginger Sweet Potato soup will not only warm you and dazzle your taste buds, but it will also boost your beta carotene intake. Vitamin A helps to support our eyesight, regulates our immune system and keeps our skin healthy, read more about orange foods to boost your health here.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 30-35 minutes
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
5-6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup water (if required for thinning soup)
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish: Cilantro or fresh parsley and pomegranate seeds
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, celery, carrots and sweet potato and a pinch of salt to the pot. Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent but not browning. Should take around 5-8 minutes.
- Add, fresh garlic and fresh ginger to pot. Cook for another couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Add soup broth to vegetables. Cover soup and allow to come to a boil. When is has come to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and cook until carrots and sweet potato are tender and can be pierced easily with a knife. This will take about 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size of vegetable pieces.
- Puree soup with a hand mixer or blender. If you prefer a thinner soup, simply add ½ cup water at a time. Feel free to adjust your salt intake to your taste if you are adding water to thin soup.
- When soup is pureed, return to heat. Heat soup through if soup has cooled.
- Serve and garnish with cilantro, lime and if it’s the right season, pomegranate seeds!
Wishing you a healthy, delicious and very Merry Christmas!