Mom’s Chocolate Biscotti
Did you know that the word biscotti means ‘twice baked’? These classic Italian biscuits are baked, sliced and then baked again. The end result is a dry and crunchy tasting treat! Be sure to enjoy your chocolate biscotti with an authentic cappuccino or espresso.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup white sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
1 ½ cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup mini chocolate chips
½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Beat in cocoa, 1 cup of the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. Stir in remaining flour, chocolate chips and almonds and bring the dough together with hands.
3. With floured hands, shape into two logs about 12 inches long and 2 inches wide onto parchment paper lined baking sheets.
4. Use hand to flatten the logs into a rectangle.
5. Bake in 350F oven for about 20 minutes or until firm.
6. Let cool for 15 minutes and then using a serrated knife cut diagonally into ½ inch slices.
7. Place biscotti pieces back on baking sheet with the cut side facing down. Bake in 300 F oven for about 15 minutes, turning once until crisp.
8. Let cool and buono appetito!
Note: For optimum freshness freeze in an airtight container.