One Pot Hearty Chili
Batch cooking should be synonymous with chili making! Chili is a simple meal and can be easily portioned into freezer containers and eaten on a busy night. Feel free to add whatever vegetables you have on hand into this one pot meal.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
500g of extra lean ground beef or ground turkey or veggie ground round
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stocks celery, diced
1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
5 mushrooms, sliced
1 green/red/yellow/orange pepper, sliced
1 cup frozen corn kernels
19 oz can (540mL) diced stewed tomatoes
19 oz can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
19 oz can baked beans in tomato sauce
2-3 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a large pot over medium-high, add oil. Add meat or vegetarian alternative to oil to brown. Stir meat to cook thoroughly.
- Add onions, celery, carrots and cook for 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Add peppers and corn and cook for additional 3-5 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, kidney beans and baked beans to pot. Stir to combine ingredients.
- Reduce heat to medium-low heat and add chili powder. Allow chili to cook for 20-30 minutes before serving to allow flavours to blend.
- Serve with shredded cheese and diced avocado.