Savoury Salmon Cakes
I love ordering Salmon Cakes at restaurants. They are just so flakey and savoury. They practically melt in your mouth. Now, with this Savoury Salmon Cakes recipe, you can make this restaurant favourite at home and have them taste just as good, if not better!
Choosing canned salmon is also a great way to boost your dietary calcium intake. In fact, sockeye/red, canned salmon, contains approximately 400-600 IU of vitamin D and 200 mg of calcium in a 2.5-ounce serving. That’s impressive. Be sure to check out 5 Foods for Stronger Bones to learn more about foods that are good for your bones!
Prep time: 20-30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
1 (213 g) tin of Wild salmon
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp red onion, finely diced
1 celery stalk, finely diced
½ red pepper, finely diced
1 tsp paprika
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
1.5 tbsp fat free Greek yogurt
1.5 tbsp fat free mayonnaise
½ tsp Dijon mustard
1 egg, lightly beaten
Optional: 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp Greek yogurt
¼ clove garlic, minced
¼ tsp paprika
Instructions for Salmon Cakes:
- In a fry pan, add 1 tbsp olive oil and sauté onions, celery and coloured peppers, parsley. Add paprika, pinch of salt and fresh pepper.
- Sauté veggies over medium-heat and cook until they are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Set your veggies aside in a small bowl to cool.
- In a small bowl, flake salmon and remove the large bones and skin. I recommend, leaving the small bones in, as these will get mashed up and boost the calcium in your salmon cakes!
- Add bread crumbs, mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard and egg to salmon.
- Add veggie mixture to salmon and mix well.
- Use ¼ cup of the mixture to shape into small patties.
- If you have time, you can cover and chill your patties in the fridge for about 30 minutes. You can also store in the freezer to cook at another time.
- In a non-stick fry pan, on medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil. Add salmon patties and cook on each side until golden brown for about 2-5 minutes a side. This could take 10 minutes per salmon cake.