Spring Fresh Egg Drop Soup
Spring is in the air and produce is fresh and crisp! Soups are a versatile option to use those extra veggies in the fridge. You can also make double batches for easy leftovers on a busy night. If you are transitioning from spring cleaning to “Spring Cooking” find out more here.
Prep time: 15-20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
2 tbsp cup olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 cup celery, sliced
1 large carrot, sliced
1 red pepper, diced
4 cups of low-sodium chicken broth or veggie broth
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
6-10 asparagus spears, diced into chunks
2 large eggs
1 tbsp parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp water
Garnish: Fresh Italian parsley
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, carrots, red peppers and season with a pinch of salt. Reduce to medium-low heat and continue cooking until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Have soup simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add asparagus and mushrooms about 5 minutes before soup is ready to be served. Cook for 5 minutes until asparagus is crisp and mushrooms are tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk or beat 2 eggs with parmesan cheese, 1 tbsp water and a pinch of salt.
- Drizzle the egg mixture into 4 or 5 spots around the pot. Let stand for 1 minute so the egg can settle. Then gently stir in the lemon juice.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese if desired.