St. Patrick’s Day Peanut Butter Barley Cookies!
To celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, I have a tasty whole grain cookie recipe (barley cookies)! I used barley flour instead of all-purpose wheat flour. Barley flour provides higher amounts of fibre and protein and has a cholesterol lowering benefit. Barley flour is not gluten free and has a moist, sweet, nutty-flavour. Be sure to substitute barley flour for equal amounts of all purpose flour in your favourite cookie, biscuit or cake recipe.
Peanut Butter Barley Cookies:
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup low fat peanut butter
½ cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 ¼ cup barley flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon baking soda
1. Cream together the butter, peanut butter, brown and white sugar
2. Add egg to butter mixture and mix together (set aside mixture in the fridge)
3. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
4. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir into a batter
5. Roll into 1-inch balls and put onto a baking sheet. Flatten each ball with fork in a criss-cross pattern.
6. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until golden brown