Veal Marsala with Wine & Mushrooms
This is one of favourite recipes that my mom will often make when I come home to visit. This succulent dish can be served with whole grain spaghetti and two sides of vegetables like steamed green beans and salad. Veal is an excellent protein and an exceptional source of iron, vitamin B12 and vitamin A.
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 pound thin veal cutlets
salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp each butter and olive oil
1/3 cup onions, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp dried thyme
½ cup dry Marsala wine or white wine
½ cup chicken stock
- Blot cutlets with dry with paper towels.
- Season veal cutlets with salt and pepper; dredge in flour.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat butter and oil.
- Cook cutlets in batches until lightly browned, adding butter and oil as needed.
- Transfer veal cutlets to plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions, mushrooms and thyme; cook stirring for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add marsala and stock; cook until slightly reduced.
- Return cutlets to the pan and cook for an additional 2 minutes and turn occasionally until coated in sauce.
Optional: For a creamy version, stir in ¼ cup cream at the end of cooking and heat through.