Warm Chickpea & Kale Entrée Salad with Goat Cheese
Entrée salads are all the rage these days! Many of my clients enjoy salads for lunch or dinner but it is important to ensure that your salad is nutritionally balanced with a carbohydrate (for energy), protein (for fullness) and then lots of veggies for vitamins and minerals. Here is a delicious example of an entrée salad to meet your nutritional needs.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
2-4 Tbsp olive oil
1.5 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 Tbsp onion, chopped
1/3 cup carrots, cut into match-sticks
4-6 cups of raw kale, chopped with stems removed
1 clove garlic minced
1/3 cup goat cheese, crumbled
3 Tbsp craisins
¼ lemon, squeeze for juice
sprinkle of salt and fresh ground pepper if desired
- Use a medium sized pan and heat to medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan.
- Add chickpeas to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Next, add onions and carrots to skillet with chickpeas. Sprinkle salt on veggies if desired. Stir to combine. Heat through for about 5 minutes until carrots are slightly softened.
- Remove chickpeas and onions from skillet.
- Add olive oil and minced garlic to skillet over medium heat. Add raw kale to the pan and cover to heat through. Stir kale after 2 minutes to prevent burning. Add pinch of salt if desired. Add more oil if pan becomes dry. Cook kale for about 5 minutes until bright green coloured.
- Transfer warm sautéed kale salad into a large bowl and top with chickpeas and veggies.
- Sprinkle with goat cheese and craisins.
- Squeeze the juice of ¼ lemon into the salad.
- Toss to combine.