Zesty Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
Potluck season is upon us! This calls for hand-held options to eat while socializing, like this Zesty Chicken Satay with a peanut dipping sauce. A satay is an Indonesian dish that uses seasoned, grilled meat on a skewer. Absolutely love this recipe because it is one you can make ahead or marinate overnight if you wish. You can BBQ or grill the Chicken Satay in advance or you can bring them to grill at the party or when guests arrive.
This is also an excellent cottage meal (click here to read my 5 Make-Ahead Cottage Meals). Finally, the peanut sauce is a mouth-watering addition! Peanuts are a perfect way to boost your dietary fibre and magnesium along with the heart-healthy, unsaturated fats.
Prep time: 15-20 mins
Cook time: 8 – 12 minutes
10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tbsp canola oil
½ cup low sodium soya sauce
4 tbsp brown sugar
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1 lime, cut into segments and squeezed
1 tsp red pepper flakes (more if you desire extra heat)
Fresh ground pepper
½ cup peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
2 tbsp warm water, add more to make thinner
2 tbsp low sodium soya sauce
½ tbsp rice wine vinegar or ½ a lime, juiced
2 tsp maple syrup
1 clove of garlic, minced
½ tbsp fresh ginger, grated
Option: To thin sauce, add 1 tbsp water.
Directions Zesty Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce:
- Cut chicken into ½” or 1” pieces and place in a large freezer bag.
- Next, add canola, soya sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, lime and red pepper flakes to the plastic bag with chicken pieces. Seal the bag and move chicken around to allow it to be coated by the marinade.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least 30 minutes before using. This prevents them from burning (at all or very much) on the grill.
- Thread marinated chicken onto the skewers so they are secure and won’t fall off. I like to fill the skewers about a third or half-full with meat.
- Grill Zesty Chicken Satay on the BBQ over medium-high heat. Grill satay for about 8 to 11 minutes, turning every few minutes until cooked through and with grill marks. Allow meat to rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Add peanut sauce ingredients together and stir. I often make this ahead and allow it to stay in the fridge until ready to serve. Can use leftover sauce for a peanut stir-fry too. Add water if needed to thin the sauce to your preference.
- Serve Zesty Chicken Satay garnished with green onion or cilantro, chopped peanuts and lime wedges.