Perfect Pulled Pork
Today, I will be sharing a truly scrumptious pulled pork recipe courtesy of my friend Brian Bertolissio. You need a slow cooker for this one and some time on your side! Let me tell you, the taste of this recipe is well worth the wait! Thanks Brian for sharing!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 8-10 hrs (slow cooker)
Pork Shoulder (2-3 kg)
1 can of coca-cola
2 cups of BBQ sauce
Spices/Seasoning of choice
Fresh ground pepper
12 whole grain buns
1. Rub the pork shoulder with Montreal steak spice or your own spices of choice. Sprinkle with salt and fresh ground pepper.
2. Turn on your slow cooker to the low setting. Place the spiced pork shoulder in slow cooker.
3. Pour coke around pork shoulder to avoid washing off the spices.
4. Cook for 8-10 hours. Note: 2 kg shoulders should be done in about 8.5 hrs and a 3 kg shoulder should take about 9.5 hrs. You will know it is ready because the pork will start falling apart.
5. Lift the pork out of the slow cooker and put it on a plate and start pulling the pork into pieces using two forks. If your pork shoulder has a bone in it, the meat should pull away from the bone very easily at this time.
6. Drain 2/3rds of the juices from the slow cooker and place the shredded pork back in.
7. Add sauce to the slow cooker! You can make your own BBQ sauce or opt for pre-made sauce like Bull’s Eye BBQ sauce (blazin’ chipotle). Brian states that if using Bull’s Eye sauce, one bottle is enough (425 ml).
8. Let your pulled pork soak up the sauce for another 30 minutes on low heat, serve and enjoy!
Healthy Serving Notes:
Serve your Pulled Pork on a whole grain bun with a simple coleslaw on top (use carrots and apples in the cold slaw for an interesting taste sensation). Note: you can trim the visible fat from the pork to make a lower fat alternative. You can also skim away any extra fat from the sauce after cooking. Choose a fresh green salad for your side dish and you have the perfect meal for a spectacular spring day!