Spring Fresh Bulgur Salad
With the onset of spring, it is common to experience a yearning for cold lunches using fresh ingredients. This recipe uses the protein and fibre-packed whole grain bulgur along with common ingredients and fresh veggies. Letting your salad sit in the fridge allows the flavours to marinate and intensify. You are sure to enjoy this chewy and satisfying salad!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30-45 minutes
1 cup bulgur
2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 cucumber, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp red onion, chopped
1 can (19oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
¼ cup raisins
1 lemon squeezed for juice
¼ cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add 1 cup of bulgur. Remove from heat, cover and allow bulgur and boiling water to sit for 30-45 minutes to absorb liquid. Drain any excess water after allotted time and toss with fork to fluff and let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large serving bowl combine parsley, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, garlic, onion, chickpeas and raisins.
- Squeeze juice of one whole lemon on top of fresh ingredients. Could also use lemon zest for flavour too!
- Toss in bulgur wheat and olive oil and toss to mix ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.