Simple Sweet Potato & Pear Soup
Is there anything better than a hot bowl of soup on a cold day? This simple sweet potato pear soup is the perfect blend of sweet and savoury to create a sensation that is sure to excite your taste buds. If you are new to making soups this is a basic recipe that requires few ingredients.
You can also dress up your soup with cool toppings. I like using roasted nuts or seeds, fresh herbs (like parsley or cilantro) and lime wedges. This soup freezes well, making it an ideal recipe to include in those “meal preparation” days on the weekend.
Prep time: 20-30 mins
Cook time: 20-30 mins
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 pears, peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp paprika
6 cups (1.5 L) low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup water (if required for thinning soup)
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish: Cilantro or fresh parsley and lime wedges
Sweet Potato Pear Soup Instructions:
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and celery to pot and sautéed until slightly softened.
- Toss in the cubed sweet potato and a pinch of salt to the pot. Cook over medium heat for around 5-8 minutes.
- Add, pears to pot along with dried thyme and paprika. Cook for another couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Add soup broth to vegetables. Cover soup and allow to come to a boil. When is has come to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and cook until carrots and sweet potato are tender and can be pierced easily with a knife. This will take about 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size of vegetable pieces.
- Puree soup with a food processor, blender or hand mixer in small batches. If you prefer a thinner soup, simply add ½ cup water at a time. Feel free to adjust your salt intake to your taste if you are adding water to thin soup.
- When soup is pureed, return to heat. Heat soup through if soup has cooled.
- Serve with a garnish of fresh herbs and a couple lime wedges squeezed in.
Enjoy your sweet potato pear soup!
Ps. If you love this soup, I’ve done two others using sweet potatoes. One of my favourites is the Creamy Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Soup and if you’re wanting to do more pureed soups, check out the Carrot Ginger Sweet Potato Soup.