Grandma’s Mushroom, Broccoli & Cheddar Quiche
Quiche is one of the foods that I despised as a child but grew up to really enjoy. I am eager to share a family quiche recipe, which also makes great lunch leftovers! Enjoy the versatility to use your favorite veggie and cheese combinations.
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 40-50 minutes
2 Tbsp margarine or butter
½ cup onion, chopped
½ cup mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup broccoli, chopped into small pieces
9” unbaked pie shell
4 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp flour
pinch of salt and pepper
Garnish: Tomato slices and fresh parsley
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- In a frypan, melt margarine over medium heat. Sauté onions, add mushrooms and cook until tender. Add broccoli. Tip: I often put broccoli in the microwave with a little water and steam for one minute before adding to the frying pan with the onions.
- In the bottom of an empty pie shell, sprinkle cooked vegetables, shredded cheese.
- In a small bowl, mix eggs, milk and beat until combined. Gradually blend in flour, whisking until dissolved into egg mixture. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture overtop of the vegetables and cheese in the pie shell.
- When oven is preheated, place quiche in oven on a tray to catch any spillage. Cook quiche for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let quiche cool before serving and garnish.