Caribbean Coconut Black Bean Rice
In the middle of our Canadian winter, we sometimes need an easy, one-pot meal that transports us to the Caribbean! This Coconut Black Bean Rice is simple, inexpensive, high in fibre and even a ‘complete protein’. The term complete protein refers to foods having all nine essential amino acids (protein building blocks). Essential amino acids must be consumed through the diet since our body cannot make them on its own. Meat is a complete protein, but some vegetarian food sources (like soy, nuts, seeds, chia, quinoa, eggs, milk) are complete proteins.
In one cup of rice and beans, you get an impressive 7 grams of protein and 5 grams of fibre. The really cool thing is that on their own, rice and beans are not complete proteins. However, when combined, the beans are high in lysine (essential amino acid) and the rice is high in methionine (essential amino acid), together making a complete protein!
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 20-30 minutes (depending on your rice)
1 tbsp of canola or olive oil
½ onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
1 cup brown rice, jasmine
1 can of coconut milk (400mL)
1.25 cups of water or vegetable/chicken broth
1 can (19 oz) black beans or kidney beans
1 teaspoon of dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Sauté garlic, ginger and rice with onions and stir to combine. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Combine coconut milk, water/stock with the onions and rice mixture. Stir well.
- Bring pot to a simmer and then turn the heat to low and cover.
- The rice should be cooked in about 15-30 minutes depending on the type of rice and package instructions.
- When the liquid is half evaporated, add the black beans and thyme. Can also add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once rice is cooked, remove from the heat and allow to cool. Fluff with a fork.
- Note: Check your rice package instructions for liquid amounts. If your rice is too firm, simply add additional water.
Garnish: Fresh parsley & lime wedges.