Valentine’s Beet & Green Pea Risotto
“Food is symbolic of love when words are inadequate” states Dr. Alan D Wolfelt. Valentine’s day is a perfect time to demonstrate your love through the art of cooking!
If you have not made risotto before, do not be scared, just have time on your side! Especially if you are making beet risotto because you will be roasting your beets first in the oven. As a time saver, you can also roast them earlier in the week. You could also roast more beets at one time since they keep well in the fridge and can be used in salads or savoury dishes. If you are looking for a quicker risotto (that doesn’t involve roasting) try the D’Ambrosio Family Risotto or my Garlic Shrimp & Kale Risotto. However, I love this Beet risotto because it is simply a beautiful dish! Perfect to impress your loved one for Valentine’s Day.
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 40 minutes
1 large beet
4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
2 ½ Tbsp olive oil
1 cup of Arborio rice
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 cups frozen peas
1 tsp dried oregano
½ cup Parmesan cheese
Optional: ½ cup white wine added to onions and garlic during cooking.
Garnish: Fresh Italian Parsley and Parmesan cheese
- Pre-head oven to 400F.
- Prepare your beet for roasting by cutting off the stem and leafy greens (save these for another recipe). Scrub the beet skin with a soft brush to remove any dirt. Do NOT remove skin before roasting as it can be peeled off easily afterwards.
- Place each beet separately in aluminum foil and drizzle olive oil (about 1 tbsp) over top. Wrap beets loosely in foil. Place on a baking sheet when oven is pre-heated. Bake for 50-60 minutes until you can easily pierce the beet with a sharp knife. Turn the beet every 20-25 minute during roasting so they cook evenly.
- When beets are cooled, dice into small chunks and set aside in a bowl.
- Bring 4 cups of stock to boil in a medium sized pan then reduce heat to simmer on low.
- In large pot, heat oil in a deep pan then add rice and cook on low heat stirring constantly until rice grains are translucent and coated in oil (2-3 minutes).
- Add garlic, onion, celery and beets to the rice. Stir for 3-4 minutes until veggies are softened.
- Optional: Add white wine to vegetables and rice.
- Add oregano to rice and vegetables.
- Gradually add vegetable stock, ONE ladleful at a time to the large pot with rice and vegetables.
- Stir gradually and add another ladleful as soon as the liquid has almost all absorbed. Continue process of adding a ladle of liquid for about 20 minutes on medium heat until all liquid is absorbed & creamy.
- Remove risotto from heat and stir in half of the Parmesan cheese.
- Transfer to serving plates, add remaining cheese and garnish with fresh Italian parsley.