Wheat Berry Entrée Salad
Increasing your veggie intake is a healthy idea, but it is important to ensure that you are maintaining balance by including a carbohydrate (your source of energy) and protein as well (to keep you feeling full). This salad includes the chewy and delicious wheat berries, which are source of fibre and includes nuts for protein. Feta cheese and fresh parsley are optional (but recommended) additions!
Prep time: 15 minutes
5 cups fresh greens (your choice- green lettuce, endive, romaine, kale)
1 large carrot, peeled and graded
1 cup black olives, rinsed and drained
½ red pepper, chopped
1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
½ cup walnuts, roasted
½ cup wheat berries (cooked according to package instructions)
¼ cup olive oil
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
Optional: ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese and ¼ cup fresh parsley if on hand.
- Cook ½ cup wheat berries in 1 ¾ cups of water until water is absorbed (about 30-45 minutes) on medium-low heat. Check package cooking instructions!
- Remove wheat berries from heat, drain any excess water and leave in a strainer to cool.
- Cut and clean 5 cups of fresh greens.
- In a large salad bowl, combine salad greens, olives, carrot, red pepper, cucumber, walnuts and wheat berries.
- Add olive oil and red wine vinegar to salad and toss to coat.
Optional: Top with crumbled feta cheese and parsley.