Whole Grain Spaghetti with Tomato Clam Sauce
It is so empowering to be able to make your own tomato sauce! You can then portion or freeze extra sauce and then simply defrost and cook up a fresh batch of pasta for an easy meal with a side salad. As a seafood fan, I enjoy the baby clams that pack a healthy protein punch. This is a meal that is sure to impress guests at your next dinner party.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 package whole grain spaghetti
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
¼ tsp oregano
½ onion, chopped
½ red pepper, chopped
¼ cup red wine
14 oz can of baby clams, in juice
28 oz can of chopped tomatoes
fresh ground pepper and parsley for garnish
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Turn off until ready to cook pasta.
- Heat large saucepan to medium-low heat and add olive oil. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and oregano and cook for 1 minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add chopped onion and red pepper; raise heat to medium heat to cook the onions until they soften and turn translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add wine and cook until almost all of the liquid evaporates.
- Stir in the clams with the juice along with can of tomatoes.
- Simmer the sauce for about 10 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Drain spaghetti and add sauce. Be sure to garnish with some parmesan cheese, parsley and fresh ground pepper.