Chorizo Stuffed Jumbo Shells
Are looking for a crowd pleaser this holiday season? If so, be sure to try my chorizo stuffed jumbo shells!
If you wish, you can prepare this recipe in stages. The meat filling and sauce can be prepared ahead of time. You might also call upon your friendly sous-chef for some chopping and stirring assistance. This recipe makes especially tasty leftovers!
Prep time: 30-40 minutes
Cook time: 20-30 minutes (cook and bake time)
3 Spanish-style chorizo sausage, casing removed
¼ cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 small red onion, chopped
6 white mushrooms, very finely chopped
¼ cup parmesan cheese
½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
¼ cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
Can use pre-made or here’s my recipe for simple sauce.
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Stuffed pasta shells
1 package jumbo shells
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove casing from chorizo before adding the filling to the skillet. Use a spoon/flipper to break the up the sausage into medium pieces. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and onion and cook until soft, for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add finely chopped mushrooms to meat mixture until softened, about 4-6 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat; stir in parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Cook jumbo shells for about 8 minutes until al dente (still a little firm when you bite) but malleable to spoon in the filling (Caution: Avoid over-cooking shells because they will cook further in oven).
- Drain pasta shells and run under cool water.
- Spread 125mL of sauce on the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Fill 2 Tbsp of meat filling into each shell and place into the baking sheet.
- Top with remaining sauce and sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and filling is heated thoroughly.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.