Homestyle French Onion Soup
Homemade French onion soup was always a favourite in the D’Ambrosio household. If you have not tried making onion soup before, you will be surprised by how easy it is! Remember that soup freezes very well, so it is great for batch cooking!
Prep time: 10-15minutes
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
3 large white onions, sliced
2 Tbsp butter or margarine
1 Tbsp flour
1 can beef consume (284mL) diluted with 2 cans water (284mL)
900mL beef broth
Add a dash of sherry (optional)
4 small pieces of bread, toasted
¼ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
2 tbsp parmesan cheese, graded
Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, melt butter or margarine. Add sliced onions and stir. Cook onions until they have softened and are translucent.
- Add flour and stir with onions for 1 minute.
- Add one can of beef consume with water and one can of beef broth with water to soup.
- Cover soup and let simmer for 20-30 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Add dash or Sherry before serving if desired for added flavour.
- When ready to serve, use onion soup bowls, and place a piece of toasted bread on the bottom. Pour soup overtop of the bread. Top soup with mozzarella and sprinkle parmesan cheese.
- Place onion soup bowls in the oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Let cool before serving! Add fresh parsley for colour.