Homemade Tomato Sauce
When you are not sure what to make for dinner having homemade tomato sauce ready in the freezer makes the decision a lot easier. This recipe uses basic ingredients and is simple to prepare. Some of my favourite veggies to add to this sauce include: coloured peppers, mushrooms, celery and even graded carrot.
Optional: Add a dash of red wine with onions for a nice flavour!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
1 clove garlic, minced
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
½ medium onion, chopped
28 oz diced tomatoes, canned
¼ tsp basil
¼ tsp oregano
fresh ground pepper and parmesan cheese to taste
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil, onions and minced garlic.
- Heat ingredients for a couple minutes until onion softens. Caution, you do not want the heat too high or the garlic will burn.
- Add desired veggies and parsley to your sauce and cook until softened slightly. If your saucepan becomes dry add more olive oil so that your veggies do not burn.
- Add can of diced tomatoes to the onions, garlic and parsley.
- Add dried basil and oregano and fresh ground pepper if desired.
- Let the sauce simmer on medium heat for 20-25 minutes to absorb flavours and allow the sauce to thicken.