Is your bowel irritable?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is an all too common condition also known as “spastic colon”. It leads to symptoms such as abdominal cramping, pain, gas, bloating and/or a change in bowel movements (diarrhea or constipation) and lasting for over three months. The exact cause of IBS is unknown and the onset is generally in the teenage years. For reasons unknown, it is twice as common in woman compared to men.Suffer from IBS? You're not alone! DYK 1 in 6 people have irritable bowel?! Click To Tweet
Lifestyle & Nutritional Treatment Tips:
- Keeping a Food Symptom Journal: I know this may sound laborious but trust me it helps in discovering the foods that are triggering your symptoms. Working with a dietitian can help you in keeping track of your daily food and fluid intake so that you can identify which foods should be limited or avoided.
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals.
- Soluble Fibre is important for solidifying stool in cases of diarrhea since the fibre draws water in to help with adding bulk. Metamucil is psyllium fibre (soluble fibre) and is excellent for diarrhea treatment.
- Insoluble fibre (ex. wheat bran) is useful in loosening stools in cases of constipation and decreasing pressure on your intestines which help to relieve symptoms.
- Drinking 6-8 cups of water daily is important for both those experiencing diarrhea and those experiencing constipation .
Last but certainly not least, emotional stimuli are a definite trigger for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Try these tips below:
- Meditation (10 minutes daily with emphasis on deep breathing).
- Regular exercise (as often as is reasonable for you).
- Yoga is a great stress relief and used to calm the mind.
- Massage therapy for relaxation.