Simple Spicy Sausage Penne
If you are tired of buying prepared pasta sauce laden with sugar, salt and preservatives, I encourage you to try this simple sauce that is packed with flavourful and colourful vegetables. I enjoy spice so I used spicy sausage but you can also use mild sausage as well for a non-spicy version.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
2 large spicy Italian sausages (1/2 lb.)
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup red peppers, sliced
l clove of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. dried basil leaves
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1 – 28 oz (796 mL) can plum tomatoes, diced
4 cups whole wheat penne rigate
Ground pepper to taste
Italian Parsley, chopped for garnish
1. Steam sausages with 1/2 cup water, covered, cook until water evaporates. Brown in 1 tbsp. oil. Slice sausages & brown lightly. Remove from pan. Set aside.
2. In pan, sauté onions, peppers & garlic in olive oil until softened but not brown. Return sausage to pan.
3. Stir in tomatoes & spices. Simmer until sauce thickens – about 25 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste.
4. Cook penne rigate in boiling water until al dente. Drain.
5. Spoon sauce over pasta. Sprinkle with parmesan and fresh ground pepper if desired. Garnish with fresh parsley.