Black Bean Guacamole
Ready to guacamole it up? For me, this was one of my most intimidating dishes years ago. I wasn’t sure how to choose the right avocado, how to cut it, how to balance flavours for right zing! Nevertheless, to boost my cooking confidence, I started practicing and taking regular cooking classes (for about 7 years now.) Guacamole is now one of my favourites to make and with persistence you can feel comfortable tasting and adjusting as you go! This Zesty Black Bean Guacamole recipe is remarkably versatile – it can be served on toast with eggs, in tacos, fajitas, quesadillas or served with crackers and raw veggies.
If you love cooking or want to get better at it, practice, practice and practice some more. It helps. Here’s a useful resource on how to choose a ripe avocado. With this knowledge, you can make guacamole! Lots of flavour variations available.
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
3 ripe avocados
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 tomato, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup black beans
1 medium lime, squeeze all juice out (might add extra lime at the end for more zing)
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (Optional)
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Directions Black Bean Guacamole:
- Cut avocado in half and remove the pit.
- Scoop out avocado into a medium bowl and mash with a fork to desired texture. Some prefer chunky guacamole and other prefer smooth.
- Now add chopped onion, diced tomatoes, garlic and black beans. Stir gently to combine ingredients.
- Cut lime into quarters and squeeze fresh juice into the mixture avocado.
- Stir to combine ingredients and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: Sprinkle fresh cilantro on top.
Now it’s your turn. Do you make your own guacamole? How do you like to consume it in your diet? Is there a food or recipe that has intimidated you? Why not give it a try?