Goal Setting: Your Direction for Success!
Steps to successful goal setting:
1. Decide what it is that you want to achieve. This is going to be very general. For example, I want to start living a healthier lifestyle.** Then proceed to the famous ‘SMART’ system to specify and quantify your goal.
Decide what exactly you want to achieve. For example, you want to lose weight as part of leading a “healthier lifestyle”.
How much of a change are you looking to achieve. For example: I want to lose 10 pounds.
Think about ways to make your goal come true: attitudes, abilities, skills and the financial capacity to reach your goals. For example: I will need to meet with a registered dietitian in order to get the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to achieve weight loss.
Pointers to Remember:
- WRITE IT DOWN! When you goal set you build your self-image: This will allow you to see yourself as worthy of achieving your goals and developing the necessary skills.
- Keep out the negativity: This will not serve you on your journey to success. Stay positive and remain focused on your goal.
- To do: Keep a calendar, a journal or a food diary to track your progress.
- Reward yourself! Achievement along the way should be rewarded to maintain motivation and positive self-image.