Classic French Toast
Who doesn’t love French Toast on a weekend? If you are a Dietetic Directions Instagram follower, you know that I love spending extra time on weekends enjoying a leisurely breakfast. This got me reflecting back on my French Toast memories. Have you realized that food memories tend to really stick with us? When nine-years-old, I had a sleepover at my aunt’s and I remember they made French toast in the morning. I was intrigued! I loved this sweet dish and my family had made it before. At a young age I saw all it took was whisking eggs, adding milk, cinnamon, little brown sugar, salt and pepper. Next, dip the toast in egg mixture and grill it! The tasty results were amazing! After that weekend, I made French toast at home and it has remained a favourite. Happy to share our Classic French Toast recipe with you!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
4 eggs, whisked
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract (optional)
Fresh cracked pepper & pinch of salt
¼ cup milk
2 tbsp butter/margarine
6-8 slices of whole grain/sprouted grain/gluten free bread
Canadian Maple syrup drizzle
Directions for Classic French Toast
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cinnamon, brown sugar, pepper, salt and milk. Pour mixture into a flat plate to dredge the bread.
- Melt butter/margarine on a fry pan to medium-high heat.
- Dip bread into egg mixture and turn pieces to coat both sides evenly.
- Place egg-mixture-coated bread onto fry pan and cook until golden brown about two to three minutes a side.
- Serve your golden brown Classic French Toast with maple syrup, sprinkled oats and fresh fruits. Side of Greek yogurt or eggs to boost protein.
Do you have vivid food memories? Share a time where you learned how to cook something as a child. Would love to hear!