Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl
Smoothie bowls are just so fun and not to mention super trendy right now! They’re colourful, flavourful, quick-to-make and completely customizable with wholesome toppings (see ideas below). Additionally, I love smoothie bowls for getting kids into the kitchen because little ones can measure ingredients, select their favourite fruits, decorate their smoothie bowls and enjoy a healthy breakfast or afternoon snack.
This Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl recipe is featured as a top choice for involving kids in the kitchen. The topic of kids cooking or developing food skills is emphasized in my upcoming blog, Family Valentine’s Meals. In this blog, I reveal Valentine’s-themed breakfast, lunch and dinner options that are ideal for teaching kids about food and building their cooking skills and confidence.
Nevertheless, it’s important to always start with basic recipes when including kids. This helps to build momentum and foundational skills needed before advancing to more challenging recipes. Interestingly, research supports that kids who are welcomed into the kitchen are more likely to try new foods, have improved dietary intakes and are more confident making foods for themselves instead of relying on processed, convenience foods.
Prep Time: 5-10 Minutes
1 cup of fresh or frozen fruit of choice (I used strawberries)
1 cup 1% milk, lactose-free milk or alternative
½ cup plain Greek or Skyr yogurt
Smoothie Bowl Toppings:
- Chia seeds and/or ground flax seeds
- Unsalted nuts/seeds (slivered almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp hearts
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- Fresh fruit or berries
Directions for Strawberry Smoothie Bowl:
- Choose 1 cup of fruit (can also do a mix of different types of fruit). For more adventurous eaters, you could add veggies (like spinach) to the fruit for added colour and vitamins.
- Next, add 1 cup of milk and ½ cup yogurt to fruit in blender.
- Blend on low to medium-high until ingredients are smooth and reach desired thickness. Can add more milk to thin the consistency, if preferred.
- Pour smoothie mixture into a wide bowl.
- Add your favourite toppings & enjoy!